Monday 9 August 2010

Connecting things

I found Linkedin very different to Facebook.  More business like than social, which was what I was expecting.  I decided not to join which did limit what I could see. 
Having carefully followed the instructions on accessing the site, I missed the helpful suggestions of whom to view.  I started with looking for Biddy Fisher as I felt she was the sort of person who might very well have an account.  I was rather put off by the number of responses and decided I could not look through them all, especially as most seemed to be North American.  I then discovered the limit by country and clicked on United Kingdom with great anticipation.  Sadly it made no difference and I could not see how to limit my searches to the United Kingdom.  My second attempt was to find Phil Bradley, which I successfully did, but could not view his profile.  I then discovered the list of suggestions and viewed all the profiles, which was interesting and showed the potential of Linkedin. I tried to find the Groups section with no success.  This is something to try again later, even if it is after the closing party.
How would I use Linkedin.  I am not sure I would.  If I was developing my career then I think it would be an assest to join.  I could advertise my skills etc., for prospective employers, read their profiles in advance if I was, hopefully, called for interview.  I probably would join the various groups that were of interest to me and thus expanding my knowledge and getting to know those who were also interested.  If you work alone Linkedin is another way of keeping in touch and feeling less isolated.  It is also a way of marketing your library. I think the possibilities are there for those who make the time and are interested in participating.  As for me, here in  Cambridge we are lucky that there is a variety of networks, CLG, Brown bag lunches, etc. which keep us in touch and which provides us with help when we want it.  The skills and expertise we have is really quite something.

2 comments:

  1. Just had a play with LinkedIn as anonymous user.
    If you search for a person and then go to the bottom of their profile you will see the groups they belong to such as Cambridge Library Group.
    See if this link works :
    http://www.linkedin.com/groupInvitation?groupID=2767113&sharedKey=6E9FD90CF49F

    ReplyDelete
  2. LR, I do understand your caution about joining. Actually (and I'll try not to make it seem like a Monty Python sketch) the fact that you don't see some of the benefits is a good thing. In other sectors, jobs are not secure - it's not unusual for people to be released at an hours' notice - so a painstakingly compiled collection of professional connections over your career is absolutely invaluable. LinkedIn is not as dynamic and active as other networks such as Twitter, but it does serve a purpose for some people and benefits will be much slower to emerge. I'm glad that you and some of your cam23 colleagues don't feel the need for LinkedIn!

    ReplyDelete